LEARN HOW TO USE A SCISSOR LIFT
Categories : scissor lift
A scissor lift is a mechanical lifting machine that is used to elevate people and equipment to very high areas ranging from 5.9m to 17.9m. The lift moves vertically by the use of a stack of crossed tubes that work in a scissor-like manner when the platform is raised and lowered hence the name scissor lift Academy Scissor Lift .
A scissor lift is a complex machine and since it works at a height; it associated with a high level of risk. It, therefore, requires that enough precautions be taken to avoid accidents. The following are the precautions you need take when operating a scissor lift:
- Thoroughly check the site you are working from to ensure there is no danger. These include holes, people around, bumps, etc.
- Inspect the lift checking all the components with power off then power on.
- Ensure that all safety equipment is in place
- Make sure that all the people working on the lift have put on the right clothing. This includes gloves, hard hats, and rubber-soled shoes.
- Ensure that the operator is certified and allowed to operate the type of lift being used.
- Ensure power and emergency button on the control box is on.
- Follow strictly the manufacturer’s guidelines.
A GUIDE ON HOW TO EFFECTIVELY USE SCISSOR LIFT
- The first step is preparing the scissor lift working area. The area is prepared by use of a red danger tape or a yellow caution tape depending on the circumstance. Yellow tape is supposed to be used where the area is safe for anyone to enter when needed and a red danger tape should always be used when there is a risk of something falling on people.
- Carry out the pre-start preparation checks. After you are done with preparing the area you should check and see if there is an obstacle close to the platform.
- Once you are done with preparations, disconnect the battery from the source of power after confirming that it is full.
- The next step is engaging the emergency stop button to start the lift. Then select the platform option and enter the platform area.
- Turn off the emergency stop control after climbing safely into the platform.
- Scissor lifts are designed with the high and low range which is used when traveling. The high range is usually used when the path is clear and the low range is used in more difficult areas.
- After you are done with the task the next step is to shut down. This is done by bringing down the platform then switch on the stop button on both the base controller and the operator section. You can now turn off the base key and come out of the platform.
- The last step is to tidy your equipment as you remove debris and the warning tape takes the lift for charging to make it ready for use when needed.